5.18.2005

New Law May Not Be Passed?

Ehrlich To Veto So-Called "Wal-Mart Bill" 1:15 PM

May 18, 2005 1:15 pm US/Eastern
Annapolis, MD. (AP) Governor Ehrlich will travel to Princess Anne on Thursday to veto the so-called "Wal-Mart bill."

The bill would require the retailer to spend more on health care for its employees or put more money into the state's Medicaid fund.

Ehrlich chose the Somerset County site because he says if the bill becomes law, it might cause Wal-Mart to delay construction of a planned distribution center on the Lower Eastern Shore. He says that would take jobs away from an area that needs them badly.

The bill would require all companies in Maryland with more than 10,000 employees to spend at least eight percent of payroll on health care or pay the difference into the Medicaid fund.

Wal-Mart is the only employer of that size in the state that doesn't meet the eight percent figure.

~Rob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some more great examples of walmart ingenuity..I worked there part time, and was getting ready to move. I was cutting some boxes to take home, and cut myself. The manager told me to file an accident report. The next day I was called into the office..it seems that since I was taking the boxes home for personal use, I knowingly (and perhaps maliciously) filed a fraudulent report! Who knew I was so evil...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have some more..my parents are moving to St. Marys county. The associations in their area are so intent on keeping walmart out that they imposed a ban on building size (I am guessing the banned sized coincides with the average size a walmart could cram all of its crap into). Well, guess what walmart did?
You got it...two buildings!
Each of them about 100 sq. ft. shy of the size limit..
walmart execs.."mwuhahahaha..."

Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]UEXQdcwhRvlH[/url] - AUAFqPoRZcS , http://hhmgziigpu.com